Do you want to know more about Parkinson's? PDF's materials provide information about symptoms, medications, resources & more.
Join Parkinson's Awareness Month 2010
Each year, to commemorate the birthday of the 19th century English physician who first identified Parkinson’s disease, April is designated as Parkinson’s Awareness Month. Using PDF’s Parkinson’s Disease Awareness
Month toolkit, you can start NOW to make an impact in April.
Join the cause by reaching out to your family, friends and members of your support group. It can be as simple as sending an eCard to a friend, as creative as submitting a design to our t-shirt design contest, or as resourceful as contacting and working with your local media to highlight your personal story.
Spread the Word
• Help us design our official Awareness Month t-shirt! The winner’s design will be featured on an official t-shirt, which will be offered on PDF’s online store and distributed at the Parkinson’s Unity Walk in New York City in April 2010. Submissions must be received by Sunday, January 31, 2010.
• Focus the media on PD! Armed with our toolkit — press releases, facts and story ideas — you’ll be ready to raise awareness.
• Send personalized eCards from the PDF website to your friends and family to encourage them to join the fight to find the cure.
• Make Parkinson’s official in your state or city! An official designation or proclamation from your governor or local mayor can help bring attention to our cause. Contact us to find out which states still need a proclamation and how you can advocate for one.
• Hang up posters in community centers, hospitals, churches and other areas to publicize the need for a cure. Call us for posters or download them from our website.
• Recruit supporters online! Put our free widgets on your website. Visit PDF’s Facebook Fan and Cause Pages and recruit your friends (visit www.pdf.org/en/social_network to find us online).
• Join PDF’s PD ExpertBriefing, by phone or online, in April. This educational seminar, “What’s in the Parkinson’s Pipeline?” will review the potential medications that are being studied for PD.
• Order and download free educational materials from PDF, including our Parkinson’s Disease Resource List, and Q&A booklet. Consider helping to educate others by distributing PDF and Awareness Month materials at your local hospital, clinic or support group.
• Find a support group. For many people, support groups provide a place to share similar experiences and tips for living with PD. PDF maintains a listing of groups around the country. To find one in your area, call our helpline.
• Share your story. Each person’s experience of living with PD is unique. Visit www.pdf.org/en/personal_stories to read real stories from those living with Parkinson's or to add yours to the library.
• Be a liaison in PDF’s library outreach program. Libraries in select locations are displaying the Awareness Month Toolkit to highlight the cause. Are you connected to your local library? Contact us to participate.
Support the Cure
• Make a donation in honor of someone who lives with Parkinson’s. He or she will receive a notification of your donation.
• Design your own fundraising and awareness-raising event! Our goal is to have 30 events in April. Can you help us reach it? Our staff can help you to plan yours, whether you are organizing a walk, a bake sale or a golf tournament!
• Attend a local fundraising event! Using PDF’s online calendar, search for local Awareness Month activities or post details about your own event www.pdf.org/en/event_calendar.
• Support the Parkinson’s Quilt Project, the first global quilt project to call attention to Parkinson’s. Submit a panel or design an entire section with your family or group at http://support.pdf.org/quilt.
• Shop to Support. Buy a t-shirt, bumper stickers and other items to show your support of the PD community at www.pdf.org/en/shop_support_pdf.
• Walk the Walk. Join our team, the PDF Pacers, or form your own at the 16th Annual Parkinson’s Unity Walk in New York City in April!