How can I make a difference during Parkinson's Awareness Month?
PDF receives this question each year from people with Parkinson’s and their loved ones. To find ideas, order a free copy of 30 Ways to Raise Awareness: A Toolkit for the Community or browse the toolkit online. The toolkit offers tips and tools to:
Spread the Word
- Hang a flyer or poster in your workplace or office.
- Change your Facebook profile picture.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper.
- Sign the Global Parkinson’s Pledge.
- Send an Awareness eCard.
Educate Yourself and Others
- Offer to speak to local college or medical students about your life with Parkinson’s disease.
- Provide your library with a copy of the Parkinson’s Disease Resource List, Second Edition, for their collection.
- Watch PDF’s PD ExpertBriefings with your support group.
- Display PDF’s annual Creativity and Parkinson’s wall calendar.
- Tell a nurse or physical therapist about PDF’s online courses for health care professionals.
Support the Cure
- Make a donation in honor of a loved one touched by Parkinson’s.
- Get your classmates involved in the PDF Champions Campus
- Challenge to compete for two grand prizes!
- Ask your company if they’ll have a “Dress Casual” day for Parkinson’s.
- Host a car wash on a Saturday in April.
- Create “Pennies for Parkinson’s” at your local school or library and see how quickly they add up!
Plan and Promote
No matter which activity you choose from those above, the toolkit provides links to awareness tools such as:
- Fight Parkinson’s Bracelets
- Educational Materials