Take charge. Learn the latest from PDF's PD ExpertBriefings, seminars available online and by phone.
Living with Parkinsonís
ďParkinsonís is a part of my life, but it is not life itself.Ē
--David, 56, three years after diagnosis
While your journey with Parkinson’s is different from anyone else's, from age of onset, to the symptoms you will experience, to your reactions to medications, there are common strategies you can take to live well with PD.
Strategies for living well may include:
- Managing nutrition and medications – to maintain the highest quality of daily living with PD.
- Performing activities that may benefit you and your symptoms - painting, tai-chi, exercise – to take charge of your life with PD. Connect with the PD community and become informed about PD.
- Getting involved in advocacy, clinical trials, support groups, and educational conferences – to be both a benefactor and a participant in the community.
- Planning ahead to maximize adaptation to this disease on your own terms; to make living well at home and work a priority at every point in the disease process by using assistive technologies, the expertise of allied professionals such as occupational therapists, physical therapists, speech therapists, and nutritionists, when needed.
Challenges, Tips, and Resources
- Coping with a New Diagnosis - Hear and read real stories from people who share your experiences and begin to inform yourself about PD.
- Managing Your PD - In this section, find out about ways to live well with your Parkinson's. Learn about medications, complementary therapies finding support, and staying independent.
- Care Partner and Family Support - Here, you can find advice and resources about how to care for those with Parkinson's disease.
- Financial, Legal and Employment Issues - In this section, find resources that can help address your concerns about finances, keeping up with work demands, and legal issues.
- Finding Resources: Living with PD, you may need to find a movement disorder center, want assistance with your health insurance, or be looking for information specific to young-onset Parkinson’s. Browse our searchable Resource List, listing over 650 resources around the world, or tell the community about the best resources in your neighborhood.