Do you want to know more about Parkinson's? PDF's materials provide information about symptoms, medications, resources & more.
April is Parkinson's Awareness Month!
April is Parkinson’s Awareness Month! Join the Parkinson’s disease community this April in raising awareness all over the US and around the world.
Browse the full Parkinson's Awareness Month Toolkit for details on the ideas that appear below.
Help the public to understand this disease that affects many millions of people worldwide:
- Wear the PDF Awareness Month T-shirt! Find out which designer won PDF’s contest! Order a t-shirt from PDF’s online store or grab one at our booth at the Parkinson’s Unity Walk in New York.
- Focus the media on PD! In PDF’s Toolkit, you’ll find press releases, facts and tips to help you to tell your story and raise awareness.
- Send personalized eCards to encourage friends and family to join the fight to find the cure.
- Make Parkinson’s official in your state/city! A proclamation from your governor or mayor can help bring attention to our cause.
- Hang up posters in community centers, hospitals and churches to publicize the need for a cure.
- Recruit supporters online! Visit PDF’s Facebook Fan and Cause Pages and recruit your friends!
Let’s ensure that all people with Parkinson’s have access to the latest information about disease management and treatments:
- Join PDF’s PD ExpertBriefing, by phone or online, on Tuesday, April 20, at 1 PM ET. This seminar, “What’s in the Parkinson’s Pipeline?” , will review the medications that are being studied for PD.
- Order and download free educational materials including our Parkinson’s Disease Resource List. Educate others by distributing materials at your local hospital, clinic or support group.
- Find a support group. For many people, support groups provide a place to share tips for living with PD. To find one, call PDF’s helpline at (800) 457-6676.
- Share your story. Visit www.pdf.org/en/personal_stories to read stories from those living with PD or to add yours to the library.
- Be a liaison in PDF’s library outreach program. Are you connected to your local library? Contact us to participate.
Donate, host an event or attend one, to let the community know about our urgency for new treatments and a cure:
- Make a donation in honor of someone who lives with Parkinson’s. He or she will receive a notification of your donation.
- Design your own fundraising and awareness-raising event! Help us host 30 events in 30 days!
- Attend a local fundraising event! Using PDF’s online calendar, search for local Awareness Month activities or advertise your own.
- Quilt for Parkinson’s! Participate in the PD Quilt Project by making a square or supporting a loved one's efforts!
- Shop to Support. Buy a bumper sticker or other items to show your support!
- Walk the Walk. Join our team, the PDF Pacers, or form your own at the Parkinson’s Unity Walk in New York on Saturday, April 24!
- Join the Awareness Month Challenge! YOU help us to raise $50,000 during the month of APRIL ... and PDF's BOARD will match with a donation of $50,000! Proceeds will fund an additional PD researcher in 2010! Make your gift in APRIL!
*This PD Tulip was designed by Karen Painter, a person living with Parkinson’s. PDF thanks Ms. Painter for sharing this tulip freely with the community to raise awareness of Parkinson's.