Take charge. Learn the latest from PDF's PD ExpertBriefings, seminars available online and by phone.
Support for Care Partners, Family and Friends
November is National Family Caregivers Month. Learn how PDF is honoring and support care partners and families this November by clicking here.
Parkinson’s disease does not just affect the person living with it – it affects the entire family and sometimes, an extended community of friends and other loved ones.
If you are the child, parent, grandparent, relative or caregiver to a person with Parkinson’s, you are familiar with how challenging Parkinson’s can be. Your responsibilities may include helping a loved one with daily activities, managing medications and making financial decisions.
Learn more by reading/viewing:
- The PD Partnership: Tips for People with PD and Their Care Partners
- What's Missing? Communication and the PD Partnership
- How to Take Care of the Caregiver
- Coping with Dementia: Advice for Caregivers
- Helping Your Children Cope with PD
Each November is National Family Caregiver Month. In recognition of this month, PDF hosts an annual online seminar, or PD ExpertBriefing, for care partners. Please be sure to check our schedule of upcoming online seminars for new and past seminars available for you to view.
Additional Web Resources:
Caregivers Are Really Essential is a listserv dedicated to caregivers. Register by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not include text in the subject line or message.
Caregiver Media Group
Caregiver Media Group provides information, support and guidance for family and professional caregivers.
- Read topic-specific newsletters and feature articles, access archived issues of Todays Caregiver magazine and a free subscription to a weekly e-bulletin.
National Family Caregivers Association
NFCA is a grassroots organization that was created to educate, support and empower the millions of Americans who care for chronically ill, aged or disabled loved ones of all diagnoses.
- Find information and advice for caregivers, forthcoming workshops, book reviews, reading lists, "how-to" guides, tips and market research reports.
Parkinson's Training for Caregivers
The Parkinsons Training for Caregivers project is a free online course developed to train caregivers for those with Parkinsons disease in long-term care settings.
- Use this educational tool to learn about aspects of being a caregiver, as well as the disease itself.
- Take advantage of helpful features including video samples and tips for medication management.
Well Spouse Association
Well Spouse is a national, not-for-profit membership organization which gives support to wives, husbands, and partners of the chronically ill and/or disabled.
- Find support groups in your state.
- Find an online 'mentor' to get one-on-one support from a veteran caregiver.